There is talk that Hilary Clinton wants to change the student loan programs and allow high school graduates to have a free two year college education. Nothing is free, so I devised a plan that would allow every high school graduate to go to school for at no further cost to them for tuition and books, and not cost the tax payers any more than they are already paying.
Here is the plan:
- We cut 1% from the budgets of all federal programs except Social Security (it is already in way too much trouble). This would give us approximately $343,000,000,000 (343 billion dollars) to play with.
- We mandate every able bodied 18 year old who has dropped out or is graduating from high school be given their choice of:
- 3 years military service;
- 3 years AmeriCorps service; or
- 3 years Peace Corps service.
- After successfully completing their service to America, they would be entitled to 2 years tuition and textbook free education. Those who are removed from service for misconduct are not eligible for the education benefits and are not eligible for student funding elsewhere (i.e. pell grants, Stafford loans, etc).
- There are approximately 4 million people in America who turn 18 every year. Not every one of those people are able bodied, but for the sake of this plan let’s count everyone. We start each one at a private’s pay of $1537 per month. Housing and meals are provided so the cost of each is $18,444 per year, leaving us with a whopping $269,424,002.00 left each year to cover incidentals and education afterwards.
- Unlike the draft during Vietnam, there are no waivers for education and such. Those with a criminal history by their 18th birthday will only be given a choice between AmeriCorps or Peace Corps. AmeriCorps workers could easily be put to work growing crops on farms to feed the prison inmates and we could not only have people serving this country, but cut the cost of feeding the incarcerated.
The end result would be we would have a whole generation that, no matter what income class they came from, have learned that life is NOT all about them and they have earned the first two years of their education.
Now all we have to do is get a politician to write it up without loopholes for his friends’ children; get the legislative branch to pass it; and get the president to sign it.