I am posting tomorrow’s thought today because tomorrow will be a bit busy……
Growing up, I had a father that had no faith in me and I didn’t realize how much it affected me. When I went into the military I doubted my intelligence and abilities. During my military career that expanded 33 years I always thought of myself as an average soldier.
This evening I found a three ring binder in a box with miscellaneous items. This three ring binder had all my certificates of achievement, medal certificates and other letters of commendation. Reading them this evening was like seeing them for the first time as I have no recollection of even receiving them in the first place.
Looking at them I realized that:
- I was promoted to a non-commissioned officer when I was 19;
- I completed a 7 week self pace course in three days;
- I graduated distinguished graduate from five military schools;
- I scored native speaker in a foreign language within four years of learning that language;
- I have received three letters from general officers commending me for going above and beyond the call of duty;
- I was soldier of the month in the Army;
- I was non-commissioned officer of the quarter in the Air Force;
- I never received anything under exemplary on any inspection by higher headquarters; and
- I had three letters commending me for missions I completed without speaking of the mission due to sensitivity.
It came to me this evening, for the first time, I was a good soldier/sailor/airman and I performed well. Even though my father drilled into me differently, I was and am a success.
So the thought for today would be:
Though someone beats you down, you can succeed and know your success. ~ ME