If a Panamanian person says to you “Buenos Dias” and you respond in kind, does that make Panamanian too? If a German says “Guten Morgen” to you and you respond “Guten Morgen” back, are you magically converted into being German? No, it is nothing more than being considerate to your fellow man. So when a person wishes you a Merry Christmas”, even if you are not a Christian, show that person the same consideration you would to a foreigner.
When a person greets you with “Merry Christmas”, they are not:
- Trying to convert you to Christianity;
- Being disrespectful to your beliefs or lack thereof; or
- Not being politically correct.
What they are doing is wishing you peace and goodwill.
By responding with “Merry Christmas to you too”, you are not:
- Converting to Christianity;
- Being disloyal to your own beliefs; or
- Being politically incorrect.
When a person is wishing you goodwill, not matter their religion and culture, be considerate and wish them the same goodwill. ~ ME